WASHINGTON At a late night news conference, law enforcement officials said they were confident that Aaron Alexis acted alone in Monday's shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard that left 13 people dead, including Alexis.
Criminal records show that Alexis, 34, had been previously arrested in Fort Worth and Seattle on weapons charges.
Washington police chief Cathy Lanier told reporters that authorities were lifting a shelter-in-place order that had been issued on Monday morning.
'We do now feel comfortable that we have the single and sole person responsible for the loss of life today,' Lanier said, referring to Alexis, a former Naval reservist between 2007 and 2011.
The gunman's victims ranged in age from 46 to 73. Lanier said no active duty members of the armed forces were killed in the gunfire, which also left eight people wounded.
The dead include:
- Michael Arnold, 59
- Sylvia Frasier, 53
- Kathy Gaarde, 62
- John Roger Johnson, 73
- Frank Kohler, 50
- Kenneth Bernard Proctor, 46
- Vishnu Pandit, 61
'This continues to be a very active investigation,' said FBI special agent in charge Valerie Parlave. She said agents were continue trying to determine where Alexis has been in the days and weeks leading up to the shooting, and where he obtained the weapons he used.
'We can say he had legitimate access to the Navy Yard,' Parlave said. 'He used a valid pass to gain access.'
In a statement issued Monday evening, Plano-based HP Enterprise Services said Alexis was working for a company called 'The Experts,' an HP subcontractor that serviced equipment on the Navy Marine Corps Internet network.
Parlave said the FBI is working on finding additional witnesses to the shootings and is seeking help from anyone who knew the alleged gunman. A toll-free number 800-225-5324 can be used to provide information.