DALLAS -- The Red Cross is helping at least six families who are without homes after a two-alarm fire in an apartment building Wednesday morning.

The fire began around 3 a.m. at the Hilton Head Apartments in East Dallas on McCree Road near Jupiter. The apartment was evacuated by residents before firefighters arrived on the scene.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was first seen coming through the roof of the three-story complex, but fire later broke through. Firefighters estimate between six and eight units are now uninhabitable, and around 18 people are without homes.

The fire was started accidentally by a candle left burning in a third-floor unit, where a mother and her infant son were sleeping. The mother woke to the smoke alarm and grabbed her son. She ran through the fire, which spread through the bedroom to the rest of the house and building.

The mother has some burns and is being evaluated for smoke inhalation at a nearby hospital. The baby is uninjured. One other person from a different unit was treated on the scene for breathing issues, but did not go to the hospital.

The Red Cross is prepared to help the families who are now homeless and replace some of the personal items lost.

Red Cross workers will remain on site until every family has a safe place to stay, said Anita Foster of the American Red Cross North Texas Region. And for those who have suffered personal losses, the Red Cross can assist with the means to purchase new clothing, new shoes, groceries, and other needed items.

Read or Share this story: