In 1984, President Ronald Regan declared July to be National Ice Cream Month, and every third Sunday of July National Ice Cream Day!
We are celebrating with a recipe for homemade soft vanilla ice cream that doesn't require any fancy equipment or ingredients. It's a great summer activity for the kids, and the ingredients truly make a great-tasting dessert.
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla (or to your taste)
- 1 gallon-size Ziploc bag
- 1 sandwich size DOUBLE Ziploc bag
- 6 tablespoons of ice cream salt
- Prepare ice bag first. Fill gallon-size double Ziploc bag halfway full of ice cubes. Add in salt, toss ice around in bag, and set aside to chill.
- In smaller bag, add in half & half, whipping cream, vanilla, sugar and combine well by shaking bag. Let sugar dissolve.
- Put smaller bag into larger bag. Shake 10 minutes for soft ice cream, or you can put it in the freezer for three hours for a firm ice cream.
Enjoy single-serve ice cream that you can eat out of the bag, or cut the tip off of the Ziploc bag to 'pipe' the ice cream out of the bag into a bowl onto cookies.
Check out Stacy Fawcett's Facebook page for information about her giveaway.