HOUSTON -- A group of sex offenders serving civil commitment sentences at an unlicensed northwest Houston boarding house are being moved back to a halfway house afterneighbors discovered their presence and complained.
State Rep. Sylvester Turner (D-Houston) said the offenders were moving out of the facility in the 9300 block of West Montgomery in Acres Homes on Tuesday.
'I have been informed that 27 sex offenders in a facility in my district will be moved to a halfway house in a more appropriate location,' Turner said in a statement released. 'I am told that they will be gone by 5 p.m. today.'
The Houston Chronicle reported that up to 29 convicts moved quietly into the boarding house were classified by the state as dangerous enough to have to complete their sentences in a civil commitment program instead of parole.
State Sen. John Whitmire (D-Houston) said the convicts had been moved from the halfway house to free beds needed for low-risk offenders. Neighbors learned of the men's presence when they received notifications from the state sex-offender registry.
Turner, who immediately began working to reverse the transfer, said the Office of Violent Sex Offender Management was picking up a total of 27 offenders and moving them to the Beaumont Highway halfway house.
'I'm glad these offenders have been moved out of this neighborhood but they should never have been put there in the first place,' he said. 'When I return to the Legislature next year, you can be sure one bill I will file will ensure that such offenders cannot be placed in a location without full public disclosure.