LAS COLINAS -- Hotel guest are being allowed back into the HyattPlace hotel in Las Colinas after it was evacuated on Monday morning.

Emergency responders were tipped off when a family was admitted into the hospital. The man, his pregnant wife and their three children complained of symptoms typical of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The fact that everybody came down with the same symptoms at the same time, that's what led the physician to think about carbon monoxide, said emergency room medical director Dr. Alex, Kennedy.

Irving Fire Assistant Chief Russell Wilson said hospital officials from Las Colinas Medical Center immediately contacted the fire department, urging them to investigate further.

As many as fifty guests were evacuated from the hotel located in the 5400 block of Greenpark. Paramedics have rushed one person to Las Colinas Medical Center since the evacuation just after 8 a.m.

News 8 spoke to a family on vacation in North Texas when evacuated from their fifth floor rooms Monday morning. The couple told News 8 they are grateful they got out before any harm came to them or their children.

We could've been asleep, said Toby Martinez, who is visiting from Oklahoma.

A Hazardous Materials Team dressed in protective gear searched the hotel, detecting extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in the boiler room and on the first floor of the hotel.

They said the levels are five times what they should be on the first floor, six times what they should be near the boiler room.

Investigators believe the source of the carbon monoxide is the boiler. They have turned it off and asked hotel guests to stay in a nearby restaurant for observation and until the hotel was okay to re-enter.

Emergency responders said the extreme levels of carbon monoxide can cause immediate headaches, visual and respiratory problems and the possibility of fainting within five minutes. Extreme exposure can cause death.

As for whether the hotel faces any potential citations, Chief Wilson said it does not seem likely, that this incident seems to be an accident. He cannot confirm whether the hotel has carbon monoxide monitors or not.

Fire officials say carbon monoxide detectors are not required in commercial businesses, including hotels. They are not part of the international fire safety code, which is used as a guideline in most cities.

The family was transferred to another hospital for further treatment.


Read or Share this story: