Stacy Fawcett has the perfect recipe for dad and the kids to whip up for mom to start her special day.
- 15 thin slices white or wheat bread
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 4 links turkey sausage or pork sausage (you can omit this ingredient to go meatless)
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 scallions; white and green parts (sliced)
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with softened butter.
- Cook sausage completely into crumbles. Drain and set aside.
- Add the milk and the eggs and whisk together. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Arrange 8 slices of the buttered bread (butter side down) in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese, scallions, and cooked sausage crumbles over the bread.
- Arrange the remaining bread over the cheese mixture (butter side up). Pour the custard over, making sure to moisten all slices. Gently press down to soak up all the custard. Let the dish set covered with foil for 20 minutes.
- Bake covered at 350 F for about 50 minutes, until deep golden brown and puffed well above edges of the pan. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes of cook time for a crunchier top.