Hatch chile season is here! Chile roasters have been in front of grocery stores all week ready for the first delivery of these mild, delicious, and flavorful peppers starting Wednesday, August 6. Special guest Brian Johnson from Central Market shows us how to make Hatch Chile Mac & Cheese.
First: How do you know your Hatch chile is the right one?
- Look for a bright green color; the brighter, the better.
- Check the shape, too; the ideal pepper is symmetrical.
- Its skin should be smooth, and when you give it a little squeeze, it should feel firm.
- The chile should also feel a bit heavy for its size (probably all that flavor it's holding!)
Go to Stacy Fawcett's Facebook page for more information about her giveaway offer.
Hatch Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb. pasta
- 5-6 roasted Hatch peppers (skinned and diced)
- 8 T. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup shallot, minced
- 3 T. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 4 Hatch peppers, finely diced (roasted and seeds removed)
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 18 oz. of sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. of Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Finish with chopped chives and salt/pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in salted water for about 3 minutes less than the recommended time. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Using a large sauce pot add you butter to melt, then add the flour and stir constantly until you get copper or darker roux (approximately 7-9 minutes or when the roux smells nutty). Add diced onions, shallot and fresh thyme
- Meanwhile, heat the milk and heavy cream in another pan on low-medium heat.
- Once roux is finished, slowly whisk in the milk and cream mixture and continue to simmer until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Reduce temperature to low and cook another 10 15 minutes. Whisk in the salt, Hatch peppers and shredded cheeses. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Top with bread crumbs and place entire in a 450 oven until breadcrumbs turn golden brown (approximately 25 minutes).
Serves 6 8 people