Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, August 10.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (any brand)
- 1 20 oz. can sliced pineapple with juice (just under 1 cup juice reserved)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- eggs (as directed on cake mix)
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 jar maraschino cherries (no stems)
- no-stick cooking spray (such as Pam)
- 1 extra large muffin pan (6 jumbo cups)
- Dump cake mix into a mixing bowl. Add pineapple juice, oil and eggs and blend until moist.
- Beat with a mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter and add brown sugar. Stir until well mixed and smooth.
- Lightly coat muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Spoon 2 Tbs. of butter/sugar mixture to the bottoms of all six muffin cups.
- Place a pineapple slice over the mixture.
- Add a cherry to the center of pineapple ring.
- Spoon cake mixture over pineapple, filling cup just over 1/2, but no more than 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Once done, let cool for 5-7 minutes before flipping over on to a large tray.
Makes: approx. 9 mini cakes
Recipe from: Sandy Burnham