This morning on Daybreak, we showed you how to start your own small business for less than $150.
Our small business expert Susan Solovic stopped by our studios to provide you with valuable information on how to get started.
In case you missed it, here are the steps you need to take to get going.
1. Choose a Name. Think of a name that is easy to remember and identifies what you do. If not using your own name, you may need to file a fictitious name registration. County clerk's office in Texas. Less than $15.
2. Grab the URL.
3. Build a Web site.(There are many Web site design and web hosting sites on the Internet that are free or minimal amount per month. Yahoo, AT&T, Microsoft for example. You don't have to be a techie. Most include your domain name and personalized email addresses for your business. And you can design the site yourself, quickly and easily. And if you want customers to pay on line there is a shopping card for most of these. Most have call-in support too for less than $20.
4. Business Cards. You can get 250 free from VisaPrint.com. Or even the premium ones are only between $4 and $12. So let's be smart and order the free ones.
5. Set-up Bookkeeping. Always important to get your bookkeeping software set-up immediately. Intuit which is the most popular offers 30 free trial and then as little as less than $15 per month. Really important to establish this from day one.
- Assumed Name Registration$15
- Web site, URL, Hosting, e-mails $20
- Business Cards Free
- Bookkeeping Software $15 (30 days free)
- Promote $70
- E-mail Marketing $10 (60 days free)
Choose Your Business. (Service business costs less and quicker. So think about what you can do that people would pay for. Organizing, tutoring, personal chef, dog walker, etc.)
Determine Price. Figure our how much you want to make and then determine how much you'd have to charge. Is that a reasonable, fair market amount? In other words, would people be willing to pay? Might want to do a little informal research by calling friends, family, business associates, or put it out there on social media.
Tell Everyone. Use an email marketing service such as Constant Contact to start an email marketing campaign. Send an announcement email to everyone you know. 60 day free trial. Then a minimal amount per month. $10.
Read or Share this story: http://www.wfaa.com/story/entertainment/television/programs/daybreak/2014/08/13/13739990/