DALLAS A woman was being treated in Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital's hyperbaric chamber Sunday morning after suffering what may be North Texas' first case of carbon monoxide poisoning this season.

The woman who did not want her name or home town published was brought to the hospital by ambulance. It's believed a faulty gas heater was responsible for her illness.

Each year, more than 400 people die in the United States as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The problem with carbon monoxide is that because it's colorless, odorless and tasteless, you really need to have a high index of suspicion for it, said Dr. Jeffrey Stone, director of Presbyterian's hyperbaric unit. It often presents as flu-like symptoms, so someone could initially complain of headaches, nausea, vomiting these are all some of the early symptoms that could occur with carbon monoxide.

Dr. Stone added that it's important to make sure your heating system works properly before switching it on for the winter, and to ensure that it is properly vented.

He added that a carbon monoxide detector is as important as a smoke detector in the home.

Read or Share this story: