CARROLLTON -- The medical examiner has determined that Jasmen Gonzalez died from a stab wound to the chest.

Carrollton authorities said that they have detained a man in connection with the murder of the 10-year-old girl.

At a Monday news conference, police said Jose Sifuentes, 23, was named as a person of interest. Sifuentes lives in Carrollton, but is not a United States citizen. He is being held by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Sifuentes is a family friend who was in the same apartment where Jasmen was abducted on Saturday night. His vehicle has been searched, but authorities will not disclose what was found.

We re still talking to other people, said Carrollton police spokesman Lt. Doug Mitchell. We are re-interviewing folks, so there s a lot more work to be done.

Search crews found the 10-year-old s body behind a wall at a house on the corner of Rosemon Avenue and Clint Street, two blocks from where she had been taken. Police said the house and homeowners have no connection to the crime.

Neighbors said the homeowners looked out the window to see the body at the same time volunteer search crews from Denton spotted the body.

Neighbors said it is very dark at night and not well-lit.

Meanwhile, those who live in Walnut Creek Apartment complex, where the abduction happened, were especially upset.

One woman told News 8 she has not slept in two days. As a mom of a seven-year-old, she is worried about her daughter's safety after 12 years of living at that same complex without any major incidents.

Police said they are convinced this was not a random crime.

The investigation continues with police issuing search warrants for two addresses and three vehicles. The addresses include the apartment where the abduction happened and the home of Sifuentes.

Police said Jasmen Gonzalez was in town with her family from Oklahoma City. They were visiting relatives in Carrollton for a family reunion. Police said one other family from Mexico was also in attendance when Jasmen went missing.

Hundreds of police detectives, FBI agents, and volunteers from the community searched for her until 3:30 p.m. Sunday, when volunteers from Denton spotted her body up next to a home two blocks from where she'd been abducted.


Read or Share this story: