Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared Spaghetti and Meatballs on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, September 28.
- 11/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed (3 for meatballs, 3 for sauce)
- pinch salt/pepper
- Olive oil, for cooking meatballs
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup red wine
- ⅓ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, whisked eggs, bread crumbs, 3 crushed garlic cloves and salt/pepper. Mix well with your hands.
- Coat a large cast iron skillet with olive oil (filling about 1/4' deep) and heat over medium-high.
- Form meat mixture into golf ball-sized spheres.
- Arrange meatballs in skillet and brown on all sides over medium-low heat.
- Transfer cooked meatballs to a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain any excess oil from skillet, but don't clean it.
- Toss in chopped onion and 3 crushed garlic cloves into same greased skillet.
- Saute over low heat until tender.
- Slowly add in red wine and gently stir.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and chopped parsley; continuing to stir.
- Once blended, add meatballs back in sauce and let simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta.
- Plate pasta with meatballs and sauce. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and more chopped parsley.