DALLAS While Thursday s George W. Bush Presidential Center dedication occurs inside the borders of Southern Methodist University, city officials say it will affect traffic throughout the city.
President Barack Obama will join Bush and the three other living ex-presidents for the ceremony, which begins at 11 a.m.
Last night, the Dallas Police Department posted a release to its Facebook page alerting drivers that the impact to the city s roads extends beyond the area near the university. The closures will begin at 6 p.m. Wednesday and wrap up at 10 a.m. Thursday. Keep in mind, these times are for roads in the Dallas city limits those closed in Highland Park are shut down at different times.
For more information on those, head to our interactive.
Says the release, In an effort to curtail traffic around the city, there will be several street closures to divert traffic from and around the area.
Below this text is a direct pasting from the Dallas Police Department detailing the affected streets.
Many are in Oak Cliff, particularly near the Jefferson St. viaduct. Streets in the southwest corner of downtown are also affected drivers won t be allowed on Young Street between the closed Houston St. viaduct and Market St., for instance.
SMU Blvd. will be closed Wednesday through Fridayand the southbound exit for Mockingbird Ln. will be closed as well.
Meanwhile, Sgt. Lance Koppa, spokesman for the Highland Park Department of Public Safety, advises all drivers who normally use streets that border the SMU campus and Mockingbird Lane near 75 find an alternate route.
For SMU students, classes are still scheduled. Those who don t live on campus can park at the Reunion Center parking garage downtown and be shuttled to the university from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Direct from SMU officials:
"Access the garage from 316 Hotel Street just north of Memorial Drive (where shuttles will be located). Shuttles will run to and from campus approximately every 20 minutes. Security will be provided at the garage, and an attendant will be on site for anyone needing special assistance."
Here s more information targeted at SMU students, faculty and staff.
Officials advise to avoid U.S. 75, especially near the SMU campus, until after the dedication. Below is the full list of the Dallas streets that ll be closed ahead of the dedication.
- The southbound Jefferson Street viaduct crossovers will be closed.
- The northbound on-ramp to the Marsalis Avenue viaduct.
- The entry to Oak Farm off Marsalis Avenue north of First Street.
- The U-turn at the Marsalis Avenue and Jefferson Street viaduct.
- Addison Street at Marsalis Avenue will be closed.
- North Ewing Avenue and East Jefferson Blvd at the Y and Oak Farms Dairy.
- North Ewing Avenue will be closed at East Colorado Blvd.
- East Jefferson Blvd. will be closed at East Colorado Blvd.
- The on-ramp at 1700 East Jefferson Blvd. at the Oak Farms River Bottom.
- The Jefferson Blvd. viaduct will be closed between the Belo Garage and Convention Center Deck.
- There will be NO eastbound traffic on Young Street from Record Street.
- There will be NO traffic on Young Street between Record Street and South Market Street.
- No westbound traffic onto Wood from South Market Street.
- There will be NO southbound traffic on Record Street from Wood Street.
- The Mockingbird exit at southbound US 75 will be closed at 6am Thursday April 25, 2013 thru 9pm Thursday April 25, 2013.
- East and Westbound SMU Blvd at 75 and the Southbound US 75 Service Road from University to Mockingbird Lane will close at 6am on Thursday April 25, 2013 and open at 9pm.