LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

LEWISVILLE The man who was critically injured in Friday's natural gas explosion in Lewisville died Sunday night.

The president of Christian Community Action said 55-year-old Scott Dehl passed away with his family by his side.

During a news conference Ron Batts read a statement on behalf of the family.

"From their perspective, this is a terrible tragedy," he said. "But they are rejoicing that after 20 years their prayers were answered. Scott came to know Jesus Christ as his Lord and savior and there's not a question in their minds where Scott is today. "

Dehl was inside his duplex when it exploded, hours after a Texas New Mexico Electric Company crew accidentally severed a nearby Atmos Energy gas line about 50 feet away.

Officials said the victim had been advised about the gas leak, but had not been ordered to leave his home in the 500 block of East Main Street .

CCA officials said they were not aware of the gas leak near Dehl's duplex before the explosion. Resident Gene Rich told reporters things might have been different had they known.

"If they would have known, I tell you what lady, they would have broken the speed limit getting to us," she said.

Rich was one of several residents who haven't been allowed back home since the explosion.

"They are doing everything they can for us." Rich added of the CCA.

A spokesman with Texas New Mexico Power, the company that was digging for the power pole, sent their condolences to Dehl's family. Eric Paul said they were in the early stages of an internal investigation, but offered no time line for when it would be completed.

Dehl is survived by his two sisters and a 12-year-old daughter.

Two firefighters were also injured in the blast, and a number of neighboring properties were damaged.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/denton-county/2014/08/18/14044822/