MESQUITE - Danny Stone's situation has grabbed the attention of North Texas.

As WFAA reported Wednesday, the 64-year-old Army veteran is sick with multiple ailments that have taken his energy and money. Now, his mortgage company is threatening to take away the only place he has lived for over 30 years.

But, what a difference 24 hours makes. Since the report, the mortgage company said they will give Stone an extra month to try and get back on track. However, it looks like it will take him much less time than that thanks to News 8 viewers.

Wednesday, Stone sat in his kitchen wondering what he would do next Tuesday, which was when his lender was to foreclose on his house.

Stone is battling kidney cancer, congestive heart failure and lung disease.

He gave so much of his life to care for our country, and as a general public, we should help him out, said Govinda Phillips, a News 8 viewer living in Dallas.

The story touched a nerve with Phillips and dozens of other viewers. Phillips recently lost her mother, who she cared for at her house. She called the television station to offer Stone a helping hand.

Our people live in the richest country and people are left alone in their house, Phillips said. I thought we should go and help people like him.

The calls and e-mails poured into WFAA. Some called offering groceries, others money to help pay his mortgage.

I'm overwhelmed by people's generosity, Stone said.

At attorney Bruce Turner's office, it was more of the same. Turner is representing Stone in the foreclosure. North Texans called and sent e-mails asking how they could chip in to keep the ailing man in his house.

People want to know the amount of the note so they can make several mortgage payments, said Donna Owens, who works at the law firm. Some people have actually offered to pay off the mortgage.

Stone is now encouraged.

It gives me hope, he said.

Those close to Stone say he is a private man who doesn't want to burden anyone, which likely explains why he never told his two sons that he was facing foreclosure.

Stone's lawyer says once the donations come in, he'll try to renegotiate a settlement with the lender's attorneys that would perhaps allow Stone to stay in the house he has called home for 33 years.


Read or Share this story: