Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared Homemade Caesar Salad with Croutons on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, March 2.
- 2 large heads of Romaine lettuce, washed and thoroughly dried
- 1/4 tsp. anchovy paste
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, yolk only
- 4 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 loaf French baguette bread
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut bread into 8 slices (about 1 thick) and lay on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush each bread slice with melted butter and top with garlic salt.
- Place in heated oven for 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. (Watch carefully as they can go from brown to burnt quickly)
- Meanwhile, wash and dry lettuce. Then sit aside.
- In a large wooden bowl, mix anchovy paste and crushed garlic cloves (Use a wooden spoon to mash garlic well into paste). Add fresh pepper and Dijon mustard. Mix again.
- Finally, add egg yolk and olive oil. Give another good stir.
- Tear all lettuce into in bite-size pieces and add into wooden bowl.
- Toss all lettuce well with Caesar dressing.
- Cut toasted bread slices into bite-size pieces.
- Sprinkle croutons and Parmesan cheese on top of salad.
- Give one more good toss with salad tongs.