Cowboys will not pursue Manziel in wake of domestic violence allegations

By Mike Leslie, WFAA Sports

The Dallas Cowboys have been linked to Johnny Manziel at a number of points in the former Heisman Trophy winner's NFL career, and were rumored to be a possible landing spot for Manziel as recently as this week.

But a high-ranking Cowboys source says that Dallas is out on Manziel after the latest reports involving the quarterback and domestic violence allegations.

The same source had said earlier in the week that he doubted Dallas would pursue Manziel once he became available, as the Browns are expected to release the second-year player in March. But once the new allegations came to light, the source says Dallas will not pursue Manziel in free agency.

On Friday ESPN reported that Manziel's agent Erik Burkhardt had dropped him as a client.

"It is with deep regret that, after several emotional and very person discussions with his family, his doctors, and my client himself, I have made the decision to terminate my professional relationship with Johnny Manziel," Burkhardt said.

Jerry Jones has had noted interest in Manziel, dating back to the 2014 NFL Draft. The Cowboys could have taken Manziel with the 16th pick, but Jones was famously talked out of the selection by others in the Dallas war room, and the Cowboys instead chose two-time Pro Bowler Zack Martin instead.

The Cowboys are in the market for a backup quarterback, be it through the draft or free agency. Manziel was one rumored target, as is Robert Griffin III. Of course there are a myriad of possible targets in the NFL Draft as well, as Dallas holds the 4th pick. 

The Cowboys staff was in Mobile, Alabama last week for the Senior Bowl, coaching quarterback Carson Wentz and other top collegiate talent. Wentz is one possible draftee, as is Cal's Jared Goff, and Memphis' Paxton Lynch.

Copyright 2016 WFAA


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment