The good news: Jurickson Profar hit a two-run home run en route to a 5-0 victory! The bad news: it happened in Seoul, not Surprise, and the team that benefited was Team Netherlands, not the Rangers.
The Rangers tied the game late today, but ended up losing when the Rockies scored a run when Jared Hoying dropped a pop fly and then the throw to third ended up bouncing away from Joey Gallo and into the Rockies dugout. WELP.
Here’s all you need to know:
- Mike Napoli hit his first home run of the Spring
- Mike Hauschild pitched perfect 1-2-3 6th and 7th innings.
Mike Keone Kela owned, striking out two in a perfect 8th
- Tanner Scheppers gave up a hit, but also struck out two in his scoreless inning.
- Austin Bibens-Dirkx isn’t making the roster, but he also pitched a perfect inning
- Drew Robinson continued to impress: working deep counts, singling once and walking in 3 plate appearances. The walk resulted in Robinson scoring the tying run on a Steven Lerud single in the 7th.
- Ian Desmond made a real first baseman play, snagging an errant throw and tagging Shin-Soo Choo on the helmet as he ran past. I still think this is a ruse so the Rockies can trade one of their outfielders, but I’m still not 100% the Rangers aren’t going to stage a comeback and win the 2016 ALDS, so I’m not really a good source for reasonable prognostication.
- The home plate umpire really frustrated the Rangers with his strike calls today, but no one was ejected. Booooooring. This is Spring Training! Practice those debate skills, too!
OTHER BASEBALL STUFF
1. Rougned Odor, Robinson Chirinos, and Martin Perez left the Rangers camp today to join Team Venezuela. They’ll see their first action on Thursday against… the Texas Rangers. That one’s on TV, so we can all watch together and see what happens if, say, Matt Bush brushes Rougie back at the plate. This presents an interesting hypothetical, actually. Who would you root for if Rougned Odor charged the mound and it was Matt Bush standing out there?
I’ll let you guys hash this out in a Twitter thread that you absolutely do not tag me in, but instead of spending five paragraphs on this hypothetical, I’ll just say I hope it ends like this.
2. Adrian Beltre is also leaving for the WBC, meeting up with the Dominican Republic. Today was his last game before departure, and he went 0-for-2 with a strikeout. You don’t worry about the 0-for-2: Beltre is still in Early Spring mode, as far as getting his timing down.
With all these WBC players now gone, the Rangers camp is not entirely dissimilar to the late episodes of the Dukes of Hazzard where Bo and Luke were out of town, and the Duke cousins (who eerily resembled Bo and Luke, weird?) came to take care of all the responsibilities for season five, since all that mischief wasn't gonna make itself.
It’s going to be fun writing all these upcoming game stories featuring
Coy Doug Bernier and Vance Isiah Kiner-Falefa. (No really, I’m going to have fun with it. We’ll see if you agree, I suppose)
3. Jose Trevino, who caught Darvish today, is also today’s Welcome Wagon profile. (Hey, look! Not-a-pitcher!)
4. Anderson Tejeda is our #9 Rangers prospect. Read Brice Paterik’s write up here.
5. Speaking of Doug Bernier, he spoke with T.R. Sullivan today, and–as he does–Sullivan found an interesting story about the website that Bernier runs.
6. Andrew Cashner knows he just needs to stay healthy. Jeff Wilson has that story here.
7. Speaking of the rotation, Evan Grant had an article today about how that might be shaping up.
That's it for today! No game tomorrow, so we'll take the day off also, though if there's any breaking news, you know we'll have the story for you here on WFAA.com and Baseball Texas.
During the regular season, these recommendations occasionally come from Rangers players, broadcasters, or other people around the team (here’s a complete list). If there’s a player or person you’d like Levi to ask for a music recommendation, shoot him an e-mail email@example.com or a tweet here.
You can follow Levi Weaver on Twitter at @ThreeTwoEephus, or for fewer puns and more straight-forward Baseball News updates, you can follow us at @BaseballTX, or download the app and get in-game updates and notifications by clicking on the logo below!
Copyright 2016 WFAA