Keller coach Carl Stralow said they practiced the play 21 times before finally using a gadget play for 6-5, 335-pound Maea Teuhema to score his first touchdown. On a 7-yard run run after a hook-and-lateral play to a Keller receiver, Teuhema scored in the final minutes of a playoff loss to Plano West at AT&T Stadium.
"We ran that play every Thursday for two years before a game," Stralow said. "We do it for fun to set up practice for a quick field goal attempt. Maea has cart-wheeled into the end zone, jumped, but I didn't really think of using it until our offensive coordinator said it at the end of that game and I thought "perfect."
Teuhema's touchdown is one of many memorable plays in his memorable Keller career as a four-year starter. Stralow said he'll retire Teuhema's No. 76 jersey as long as "I'm coaching here."
A USA Today first-team All-American, Teuhema held his signing ceremony with classmates in Keller's fine arts auditorium with his brother Sione Teuhema joining in via a cellphone Skype call. Sione played at LSU as a freshman defensive tackle after signing last year.
Tristan Maea is his full given name, but Maea has established himself as one of the nation's top -players. He bench presses 405 (that's four, 45-pounds plates on each side of a 45-pound bar) but his athleticism for his size put him onto recruiting radars four years ago. He's been committed to LSU for awhile but UCLA kept pitching the Bruins until yesterday.
"It's a relief to have over," Teuhema said. "You think about it all the time."
- Tristian Maea Teuhema, LSU football
- Garrett Blubaugh, Texas A&M Commerce football
- Bobby Reynolds, Louisiana Monroe football
- Mason Ohendalski, Wheaton College football
- Cassie Marciante, Lamar women's soccer
- Kristen Thomas, Oklahoma City women's soccer
- Sara Ricks, Oklahoma City women's soccer
- Kristin Ricks, Central Arkansas women's soccer
- Alyssa Western, Hardin-Simmons track
- Amanda Wetzel, Missouri S&T track
- Bryan Burner, Garden City CC baseball
- Chase Green, Hill JC baseball
- Logan Self, McLennan CC baseball
- Jack Gorman, Hendrix lacrosse
- Kaylee Grant, Princeton softball
- Connor Hughes, South Plains CC Cross Country