Official: trial of Libya's Gadhafi's son in August

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on June 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — A Libyan official says the trial of ousted dictator Moammar Gadhafi's son, his spy chief and his last prime minister will take place in August.

Al-Seddik al-Sur of the state prosecutor's office told reporters Monday that Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, Abdullah al-Senoussi and ex-premier al-Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi, along with ex-spokesman Milad Daman, will be tried for crimes committed during under Gadhafi's 42-year rule and during the eight-month civil war that deposed him.

Last week Libya appealed the International Criminal Court's order to try Seif al-Islam in The Hague. Libya also asked for suspension of its order to him over to the ICC.

Seif al-Islam is being held by a militia in the Libyan town of Zintan. ICC judges ruled that Libya cannot give Seif al-Islam a fair trial.

Print
Email
|