Man wanted in triple murder at Houston-area car wash surrenders, claims self defense


by staff & RUCKS RUSSELL

KHOU 11 News Houston

Posted on October 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Updated Tuesday, Oct 1 at 11:01 AM

STAFFORD, Texas – A police manhunt ended on Monday evening for the suspect who gunned down his boss and two coworkers after being fired from a Fort Bend County car wash on Sunday.

La-Melvin D. Johnson turned himself in to authorities after a warrant for three counts of murder was issued overnight.

According to Johnson, the "truth will come out."

"It was self defense -- just bottom line," Johnson said.

According to the Stafford Police Department, the shooting happened around 10:14 a.m. at the Royal Car Wash in the 300 block of Avenue E.

Investigators said Johnson became "irate" after being terminated. He allegedly went to his vehicle, got a handgun, and then shot the car wash’s owner along with another employee and a teenager who was applying for a job.

Witnesses said Johnson left the scene in a white 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis with Texas plate BS7-S618.

One of the shooting victims was pronounced dead at the scene while two others later died at the hospital.

Police identified the victims as 34-year-old Harvey Simmons, 59-year-old Johnny Simmons and 18-year-old Donntay Borom.

"This is so unreal," said Harvey Simmons’ wife. "It’s like I don’t even know how to feel right now. I lost a husband. The children, they lost a father."

Harvey Simmons owned the business and his Uncle Johnny worked for him. Donntay Borom was there to interview for a job.

Former car wash employee Chris Jenkins raced to the scene with his girlfriend after hearing news about the shooting.

"Somebody got fired today, got pissed off, left came back and shot up the place," Jenkins said.

"I just can’t believe it, shocking first off," Cherice Scott, Jenkins’ girlfriend, said.

Simmons’ wife said her husband loved to give people down on their luck a second chance. But she knew Johnson had become a problem.