Smoke at Okla. Capitol prompts panel's evacuation

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on February 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Officials at the Oklahoma state Capitol say a faulty fan motor that began smoking prompted the evacuation of three House committee rooms.

Members of the Public Health Committee were taking up the first of eight bills on the agenda when smoke began coming through a light fixture in an adjacent room. House sergeants notified committee Chairman Rep. David Derby, who recessed the meeting. About 50 people attending the meeting milled around in the Capitol rotunda while maintenance officials searched for the source of the problem.

Building manager Doug Kellogg says the smoke was traced to a burned-out fan motor in the ceiling.

Gov. Mary Fallin and legislative leaders have been pushing for repairs to the Capitol, including the replacement of outdated sewer and electrical systems.

Print
Email
|