Officials investigate mall attack as possible act of terrorism

An update on the latest developments in the St. Cloud stabbing case.

ST CLOUD, Minn. - An FBI official says investigators are viewing an attack at a St. Cloud mall in which a man stabbed several people as a possible act of terrorism.

A member of the local Somali community identified the deceased suspect as Dahir Adan, of St. Cloud. The Medical Examiner's officer confirmed the 20-year-old's identity Monday evening.

Ten people were injured Saturday at the Crossroads Center by the attacker who was killed inside the Macy's store by an off-duty Avon police officer. All the injured have left the hospital.

St. Cloud Mayor Dave Kleis identified that officer as Jason Falconer during a press conference Sunday. He praised Falconer saying, "He clearly prevented additional injuries and potentially loss of life."

St. Cloud Police Chief Blair Anderson said the attacker, who was wearing a private security outfit and armed with a knife, reportedly made references to Allah during the attack and asked at least one person whether they were Muslim. But late Saturday night, Anderson pointedly declined to call the attacks an act of terrorism, saying the motive isn't yet known.

According to the Associated Press on Sunday, an Islamic State-run news agency claimed the suspect was a "soldier of the Islamic State," saying the attacker had heeded calls from the extremist group for attacks in countries that are part of a U.S.-led anti-IS coalition.

FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Rick Thornton said at a news conference Sunday that authorities are digging into the suspect's background to determine his possible motivation. He said they are viewing the attack as a "possible act of terrorism."

The FBI were seen at an apartment complex in St. Cloud where the suspect reportedly lived with his father.

The attack was reported about 8:15 p.m. and Anderson says the time between the first 911 call and when the suspect was killed was approximately five minutes.

KARE 11 reporter Heidi Wigdahl spoke with Shye Makarrall who hid inside a store. Makarrall says she saw people walking around inside with blood on them.

Harley and Tama Exsted of Isle, who were in St. Cloud Saturday to watch their son play in a college golf tournament at Blackberry Ridge, were in the mall when the incident occurred.

"All of a sudden I heard 'pop pop pop,'" Harley said. "I thought someone tipped over a shelf. All of a sudden these people started running. I just saw everybody running our way."

"It was a pa-pow, and then we saw the people start to run, which didn't catch me at first," he said. "But when we heard the screaming, then we knew it was time to go."

The couple escaped unharmed and said they helped another woman who was running from the scene to her car.

Worried relatives of shoppers gathered near the scene.

Anthony Bellow, 18, a Technical High School student who recently moved to St. Cloud from Columbus, Ohio, went to the mall to visit his brother Dominic, 21, who works at Target, and was told to leave.

Bellow said his brother, whose shift was about a half hour from ending when the violence broke out, sent him a text that said there was a shooter in the mall.

"My brother and I have always been really close. I want to make sure he's OK and give him a hug," Anthony Bellow said.

Target employees huddled in the mens' clothing department, Bellow said his brother had communicated by text message. They later moved up to the registers, he said.

Their mother, who is still in Ohio, asked Dominic to text her a photo from inside the mall to show he's safe, and he did, Bellow said.

Adonis Samuels, 42, St. Cloud, was also outside the mall where his wife Roxanne is a manager at Clinique at Macy's.

"She called me on the phone and told me she was hiding under the counter with a customer," Samuels said.

She later called and said she was safe in a secured area.

Samuels remained outside, watching for her. He said he'd seen her through the glass doors at one point so he knew she was safe.

Desi Spoden, 52, of Sauk Rapids and her husband were in the parking lot awaiting word from their 17-year-old daughter, Katy, who was inside the mall at Lady Foot Locker. They raced to the scene after hearing about the incident.

Spoden said her daughter's friend reached her to let know they were OK. "Her friend called to let us know they were OK; they are on lockdown," she said.

Shortly before 9 p.m., a St. Cloud police officer with an assault rifle could be seen near the west entrance of Macy’s. Other officers were searching shrubbery near the mall with flashlights, according to St. Cloud Times staffers on the scene.

Officers from St. Cloud, Waite Park, Cold Spring and the Minnesota State Patrol, as well as Gold Cross ambulance and St. Cloud Fire Department crews were on the scene.

Chief Anderson said that St. Cloud police will remain steadfast and in service of its citizens.

"St. Cloud is a very resilient community. St. Cloud is filled with hard-working, right-thinking, decent people -- and we're going to be stronger because of this," he said.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment