Passengers describe altercation with flight attendant




Posted on March 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Updated Saturday, Mar 10 at 10:22 AM

DALLAS -- Passengers had to physically restrain a flight attendant before take-off after she went on a rant, mentioning 9-11 and the plane going down.

It was very bizarre and very frightening according to passengers heading from Dallas to Chicago this morning.

In grainy cell phone video you can hear and out of control flight attendant shrieking cries and eventually had to be tackled by passengers.

She is heard shouting “get off the plane” as the aircraft sat on the tarmac at DFW Airport. Her cries continued even after passengers managed to subdue her.

“It was a good wrestle to get her to her seat, they had to subdue her there were 5 people holding her down,” said Steve Termunde, passenger.

Termunde said the flight attendant went on a rant as the plane was preparing to take off just before 9 a.m. Friday and went on and on about American Airlines’ bankruptcy, 9-11 and shouting that the plane was unsafe.

"We knew something was wrong, it was almost like she was talking and didn't know the PA was on, but when she said crash, twice, we knew something was wrong," Termunde said.

Kevin Ritch was seen in cell phone video helping to subdue the flight attendant. He told News 8 she was acting like she was on drugs. He said she questioned what city she was in and even fought police officers who eventually boarded the plane to get her off.

The flight attendant was taken to Parkland Hospital to be evaluated and another female crew member, caught in the scuffle, was also checked out.

A spokesperson for the Association of Professional Flight Attendants called it an unfortunate and non-violent confrontation.

Airport officials said they will not pursue any criminal charges.

Here is the full statement on the incident released by American Airlines Friday morning:

This morning Flight 2332 had left the gate at DFW bound for Chicago, when an incident occurred involving some of the cabin crew. The aircraft returned to the gate, where it was met by Department of Public Safety officers. Two flight attendants were taken to local hospitals for treatment. We continue to investigate the details and circumstances and will have no further comment at this time.

We will ensure that the affected flight attendants receive proper care, and we commend our other crew members for their assistance in quickly getting the aircraft back to the gate so that customers could be re-accommodated. Our customers were not in danger at any time.

The cabin crew was replaced. The flight departed for Chicago at 9:46 a.m., and is scheduled to land around noon. We apologize for any inconvenience to our customers and we appreciate their patience and understanding.