5th arrest made in Detroit mob attack on motorist

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on April 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Updated Wednesday, Apr 9 at 5:05 PM

DETROIT (AP) — Police on Wednesday arrested a fifth person in the mob beating of a 54-year-old motorist who stopped to help a 10-year-old Detroit boy struck by his pickup truck.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig declined to release details about the arrest but told reporters during a news briefing that the 19-year-old man "didn't turn himself in" and that more arrests in the April 2 attack on the city's east side are "a strong possibility."

Meanwhile, clergy from various faiths inside and outside Detroit will hold "A Night of Healing" and prayer service Thursday evening for Steve Utash.

Utash, a tree trimmer from Macomb County's Clinton Township, was driving a company pickup truck when 10-year-old David Harris stepped from a curb into the path of the vehicle.

Utash was set upon by at least six and possibly up to 12 people when he stopped to see if he could help the boy. Utash suffered severe head injuries from punches and kicks to the head. He had been listed in critical condition at a Detroit hospital.

The boy suffered a leg and other injuries.

Investigators have been trying to determine if the beating was racially motivated. Utash is white; the three men and two teens arrested so far in the case are black.

The prayer service is scheduled for Thursday evening at Historic Little Rock Baptist Church in Detroit. Mayor Mike Duggan and members of Utash's family were expected to attend.

"We need to send a crystal clear statement to the world that the violent actions of a few individuals will not cast a cloud of negativity over our city," the Rev. Jim Holley said Wednesday in a release. "We are inviting everyone to participate to show support that this is a region of hope, peace and renewal."

Bruce Wimbush Jr., 17, Wonzey Saffold, 30, and James Davis, 24, were arraigned Tuesday on assault with intent to murder and assault with intent to commit great bodily harm charges. Bond was set at $500,000 for each. A 16-year-old boy also was being held in a county juvenile detention center pending a hearing Saturday.

Print
Email
|