ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — The U.S. Naval Academy's superintendent has decided to move ahead with proceedings in a sexual assault case involving football players and a female midshipman.
The academy announced Monday that Vice Adm. Michael Miller has decided to send the case to Article 32 proceedings. That is the military equivalent of a preliminary hearing or grand jury investigation.
The woman says the assault took place at an off-campus house in Annapolis last year.
The case comes as a string of sexual assault cases in the military has drawn recent attention in Congress, the Pentagon and the White House.
President Barack Obama raised the issue when he spoke at the academy's commissioning ceremony last month. The president said those who commit sexual assault threaten the trust and discipline that makes the military strong.