MANDERSON, S.D. (AP) — Descendants of a Native American man who died more than a century ago while touring with a western-themed show gathered to mourn the man and celebrate his remains coming home to a South Dakota reservation.
Twenty-year-old Albert Afraid of Hawk died from food poisoning in 1900 while touring with Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. He was buried in an unmarked grave in Connecticut. Family members weren't sure where he was buried until a history buff pieced together the details.
About 75 people gathered Sunday on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation to take part in a traditional Lakota funeral service and burial for Afraid of Hawk.
Lakota medicine man Rick Two Dogs says Afraid of Hawk will finally be able to journey to the spirit world