Thomas "Ty" Pickens, the grandson of oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens, died of acute heroin intoxication, the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's office has ruled.
According to a toxicology test released Thursday, Pickens died of an accidental heroin overdose, said Linda Anderson a spokeswoman for the Tarrant County Medical Examiner. Pickens also tested positive for Xanax and trace amounts of THC, the active chemical in marijuana.
Police were dispatched to the off-campus apartment of the 21-year-old TCU student on the morning of January 29. Pickens was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Last month, another TCU student, 21-year-old Brennan Trainor Rodriguez, was charged with evidence tampering in connection with the Pickens case.
According to documents obtained by News 8, investigators believe Rodriguez hid drugs and paraphernalia including spoons, syringes, cotton swabs, heroin, Xanax and brownies laced with marijuana in a maintenance closet across from his apartment in the 1800 block of Rogers Road.