FORT WORTH — The sudden closure of a string of popular dry cleaners in the Fort Worth area has left hundreds of customers without their orders.
The Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts shuttered four locations operated by the Taufiq Ahmed family on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The family business is accused of owing nearly $240,000 in back taxes.
"I've got shirts and slacks, things I need for work tomorrow," said Chad Loudermilk. He stopped by the Comet Cleaners off Camp Bowie Boulevard only to find a notice saying the store is no longer open due to delinquent taxes.open.
"Totally surprised and angry, yes," said Mark Ford, who also stopped by to pick up clothes he dropped off last week.
Contacted by News 8 on Wednesday, the Ahmed family said it had tried to reach a deal with the comptroller's office after falling behind on sales tax payments. They apologized to their customers.
"I can't even imagine what they're going through," admitted Abdul Ahmed, who said he was the one running the family business most recently.
Other locations of Comet Cleaners owned by different franchisees are not affected by the state's legal action.
Listed below are times and locations the state will let customers pick up their orders. Only checks, money orders, or exact cash will be accepted. Customers also must have their original claim ticket.
3204 Camp Bowie Blvd. Suite C, Fort Worth
- Thursday, February 21: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Monday, February 25: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Thursday, February 28: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
8808 Camp Bowie W. Suite 160, Fort Worth
- Friday, February 22: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 26: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
2977 South Precinct Line Rd., Suite 221, Fort Worth
- Friday, February 22: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, February 27: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Friday, March 1: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Martinizing Dry Cleaners
109 W. Harwood Road, Euless
- Thursday, February 21: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 26: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Friday, March 1: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.