AZLE — A home just outside of Azle was destroyed in an explosion Tuesday.
Authorities said a gas leak was likely the cause of the cause of the explosion at the home located in the 6500 block of Appian Way. The homeowners were not injured in the blast, but several of their pets were killed.
Just after 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Tarrant County Fire Marshall Randy Renois said neighbors heard a loud boom, followed by a second explosion. Neighbors said they then saw the house burst into flames.
"Certainly, we are looking at gas as a cause here," Renois said. "There was an explosion, some fire and then a secondary explosion."
Firefighters at the scene spent much of Tuesday evening extinguishing hot spots and sifting through debris.
A neighbor who didn't wish to be identified told News 8 she was playing the piano and "almost fell right off her chair."
She took a photo of emergency crews clearing the scene.
Fire investigators were expected to remain on scene overnight and into Wednesday trying to pinpoint what went wrong with gas lines to the home.
"We're going to trace gas lines and diagram the house," Renois said.
The Red Cross was expected to provide overnight assistance to the homeowner and another man who leased part of the property.