Affidavit describes fatal UT Southwestern shooting



Bio | Email | Follow: @jasonwhitely


Posted on January 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Updated Wednesday, Jan 9 at 6:25 PM

Hospital shooting

View larger map

DALLAS — The husband of a woman fatally shot Tuesday night in a Dallas parking garage was charged in her murder after allegedly admitting to firing the shots during a fight, read a warrant for his arrest.

According to the affidavit obtained by The Dallas Morning News, at 3:40 a.m. Wednesday, authorities arrested the victim's husband, 41-year-old Ferdinand Glen Smith, at his Duncanville home on a warrant from a previous family violence incident involving his wife, 40-year-old Karen Smith, in December.

He was later transported to the Dallas Homicide Unit and charged in her murder after confessing that he waited outside the garage of her work, where he became involved in an argument with Mrs. Smith, the affidavit read. A security officer, Mr. Smith allegedly admitted to shooting her with his duty weapon in the midst of the fight over marital problems.

Mrs. Smith was found unresponsive with gunshot wounds to her head and upper body at about 7:35 p.m. Tuesday on the third level of Garage 2 at the UT Southwestern Medical Center campus in Dallas. Someone heard multiple gunshots and called police.

"Nothing like this has happened here in three decades," according to Russell Rian, UT Southwestern spokesman.

The site of the shooting is located at 5303 Harry Hines Boulevard near the southern cloverleaf exit at Inwood Road, across from a Wendy's restaurant.

A text alert sent to UT Southwestern employees about a half hour after the shooting described a "dangerous situation on campus," adding: "UT police are investigating a possible homicide on campus near Garage 2."

The entire campus was placed on lockdown, meaning people inside classrooms and laboratories locked themselves inside.

The alert was rescinded at 11 p.m.: "UTSW situation is under control. Please resume normal business operations. No imminent danger. Believed to be an isolated incident."