SWAT officers arrest murder suspect hours after Dallas standoff



Bio | Email | Follow: @davidschechter


Posted on April 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Updated Saturday, Nov 2 at 2:07 PM

Murder suspect leads police on chase

View larger map

DALLAS –– Dallas SWAT officers on Monday entered a home and arrested a murder suspect who barricaded himself inside following a high speed chase that stretched aross the city.

Tyrone Allen, 26, was charged with capital murder for the shooting deaths of his pregnant ex-girlfriend and her unborn child.

Police responded to a shooting call at 12316 Hoblitzelle Drive at 10:15 a.m. Monday. When officers arrived, they found 28-year-old Breshauna Jackson had been shot and mortally wounded. Maj. Jeff Cotner said she was in the "final stages of her pregnancy."

A witness told police she yelled her attacker's name. The witness, said Dallas police Chief David Brown, looked out the window to see the man speeding away in a silver sedan.

Officers Jason Garron and Lewis Canales spotted the silver sedan driving near Skillman Street  and LBJ Freeway. When they attempted to pull the car over, Allen sped off, triggering a pursuit.

Officers began trailing closely behind the car as it sped along westbound Interstate 30 near Fair Park. The suspect then exited northbound onto Central Expressway and returned to the neighborhood where the incident began. 

At one point, Brown said Allen rolled down his and window and fired at officers. No one was struck then, and officers did not return fire.

After the 40-minute chase, the suspect abandoned the sedan in the 12000 block of Belafonte Drive and again fired at police, hitting Ofc. Daniel Malouf in the abdomen through the driver's side door, Brown said.

He was taken to Medical City Hospital and was released at about 2:30 p.m.

A bullet hole was visible in a police cruiser near the driver's seat, and Chief Brown visited Malouf in the hospital. The five-year veteran served in the U.S. Army from 2001 to 2007 in Kosovo, Iraq, and Afghanistan. 

The residence at 2064 Galva Street where the man barricaded himself is about a half-mile from the murder scene. 

Police said Allen was in the home for about four hours. At about 4:15 p.m., SWAT officers -- who had been shooting tear gas into the home -- breached the door. Allen was hiding under the house, avoiding the barrage of gas fired by police, Cotner said. 

Allen was booked into the Lew Sterrett Justice Center on two charges of capital murder and one charge of aggravated assault of a police officer.  Maj. Colter said the department is investigating whether Allen has a history of domestic violence. 

The nearby Hamilton Park Pacesetter Magnet School was locked down as police worked to arrest the suspect. Richardson Independent School District spokesman Tim Clark said the school dissmissed normally at 3:30 p.m.

The incident did not impact bus schedules and parents did not need to come to school, he said.

The neighborhood was blocked off and media helicopters were asked to vacate the airspace. Schroder, Galva and Willowdell streets were all closed. Students had to be picked up at the school's east side. News outlets were also asked to stop live coverage from the scene.