DALLAS –– Beginning today, the city of Dallas will shut down or divert traffic from a handful of streets surrounding Dealey Plaza for Friday’s commemoration of John F. Kennedy’s assassination.
The traffic diversions begin Tuesday. Main Street between the triple underpass and Houston Street will be closed along with the right lane of southbound Houston Street from Elm to Commerce.
Nothing changes on Wednesday. For Thursday, Main Street will be closed between Houston and Market streets. The lion’s share of the closures predictably will be on Friday, the day of the ceremony.
We’ve put them in bullet points below:
- The portions of Elm and Commerce streets between Riverfront Boulevard and Houston Street
- All of Houston Street from Elm to Commerce streets
- The Commerce Street exit ramp off Interstate 35
- The frontage road between Union Boulevard and Commerce Street
- Houston Street between Ross Avenue and Wood Street
- Commerce Street between Houston and Market streets
- Jackson Street between Houston and Market streets
- Record Street between Wood and Jackson streets
- Record Street between Ross Avenue and Elm Street
- Elm Street between Houston and Lamar streets
Dallas Area Rapid Transit service will also be impacted on Friday. Buses with downtown routes will be detoured between 4 a.m. and 4 p.m. Details about which are here.
DART’s Red and Blue line rail service will pause on Friday between 12:10 p.m. and 1:10 p.m. at Union Station and West End Station. A bus will shuttle passengers between those two stations. Customers looking to board at Union will get on at Houston Street.