Whether you're participating in, living near or just driving around The 2017 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half Marathon & SMU Cox School of Business Relay, here are eight things you need to know.
1. WHERE/WHAT TIME IT STARTS
The marathon and half marathon kicks off at 8:10 a.m. Sunday at the Dallas City Hall Plaza in downtown.
2. AVOIDING THE MARATHON/CLOSURES
OK, this is for everyone who wants to avoid the marathon! You know, the ones that forget it's happening until they're driving along and find themselves trapped and surrounded by road closures.
- Use this interactive map to find all the locations you should steer clear of from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.
- Check out this list of detour directions
3. YOU CAN VIEW LIVE RESULTS FROM YOUR PHONE / WATCH LIVE ON WFAA/WFAA.COM
The marathon will also air live on WFAA from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and stream on WFAA.com/livevideo.
4. LOOKING FOR SOME GOOD SPOTS TO CHEER RUNNERS ALONG?
- The marathon has provided a map featuring 15 key spectator locations, which you can find here.
- Dallas City Hall: This is the kick off and end point for both the half and full marathon. This is also where the post-race party will take place, which will include live music from the Emerald City Band.
- View the interactive map to find spots around White Rock Lake, in Deep Ellum, along Greenville Avenue, around Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge and more.
While marathon officials say there will be many parking lots available for drivers Sunday morning, they strongly recommend using DART. Here's info on using DART the day of the marathon.
And here's a map of the marathon start and finish area to find available parking in the area.
ParkingPanda.com provides parking you can reserve ahead of the marathon.
6. MORE THAN THE MARATHON
There are numerous events underway in connection to the marathon, including the Health & Fitness Expo, which takes place at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Friday and Saturday. Admission to the expo is free.
Click here to check out details on all related events.
7. FOR A CAUSE
The 2017 BMW Dallas Marathon benefits the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children. According to the marathon's site, the hospital has received $4 million in donations since 1997 in connection to the event.
8. JUST THE FACTS
- This is the 47th Dallas Marathon event, which started in 1971 and is Texas' oldest marathon
- The marathon was once called the Dallas White Rock Marathon and this year the full marathon brings the event back to the lake
- The 2013 marathon was the only year the event was canceled due to an ice storm
© 2018 WFAA-TV