Family and friends of McKinney officer killed in motorcycle wreck reminisce



Bio | Email | Follow: @jobinpnews


Posted on May 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Updated Friday, May 31 at 11:22 PM

McKINNEY -- The flags remain at half-staff at police headquarters in McKinney.

The community is mourning the loss of Officer John Libby, 41, who was killed when his motorcycle hit a sport utility vehicle just before noon Monday at the corner of Custer Road and Cotton Ridge Road South.

On Friday, visitation was held at Turrentine-Jackson-Morrow Funeral Home in Allen. Family from New Jersey flew in for memorial services, which will be held on Saturday.

“Every day, there will be something that I will miss about him,” said his younger brother, Robert Libby.

Robert and their mom were just in McKinney from New Jersey for a visit. They left on an early morning flight Monday; the day Libby was killed in the motorcycle accident. Robert found out two hours after they got home to New Jersey that John had died.

He’s reminded of the last moment they had together; the send-off at the airport.

“He blew a kiss to my mom, and that's something I will hold on to, and my mom will hold on to, for the rest of our lives,” Robert Libby said.

Officers Ron Alexander and Sonia Henriques were friends who described John as the ultimate family man, an eternal optimist, and someone who had a penchant for practical jokes. Friends and family say Libby always talked about his kids.

“They went to the father-daughter dance every year, and you would have thought he was going to prom with most popular girl in high school,” Alexander said.

He started on the force in McKinney the same day as John Libby back in 2007. Alexander recalled when found out Libby was from New Jersey.

“I knew already, I'm not going to like this guy," Alexander said. "The complete opposite happened."

The McKinney Police Department said Libby had "honorably served the citizens of McKinney for nearly six faithful years" and Libby's "commitment to his family, community, and fellow officers will be deeply missed."

Henriques knew Libby back in the Northeast. In fact, he was the person who convinced her to come to Texas. She had a lot of stories to tell about ever-comical John Libby.

“He knew I always went to bed around six in the morning," she said. "He'd faithfully wait around 6:10 or 6:12, and text me. It was John, ’Hope I didn’t wake you up.'"

Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in McKinney.

“To see all the things being said about him just shows me that I had the right hero," Robert Libby said. "He was my hero."