Few answers day after Frisco parents found dead

FRISCO — Why? That's the question on everybody's minds.

Why did 10-year-old Arnav die earlier this year?

Why are his parents, Pallavi and Sumeet Dhawan, now dead?

That question may never be answered.

‎"I have no idea what happened," said David Finn, Pallavi's attorney. "I certainly didn't see this coming, not by a long shot."

Finn had publicly pressured the Frisco Police ‎Department to either drop the murder case against Pallavi or to seek an indictment. He had repeatedly criticized them, accusing them of jumping the gun on the case.

Now, for the second time in seven months, crime scene tape surrounds the Dhawan's Frisco house. Police returned to the residence Thursday, a day after finding Pallavi's body in the pool and Sumeet's body inside.

Police identified the deceased as Sumeet and Pallavi Dhawan late Thursday afternoon, but have not said how they died. ‎Investigators were coming and going from the house all day Thursday.

REPORT: Frisco police: Two bodies found at home where boy died

In late January, their son, Arnav, was found decomposing in a bathtub. His mother had placed him in plastic bags with ice around him. The family says her action's were to preserve his body until his father came home from out of town.‎

Frisco police said they asked her if she had killed her son and that she had nodded her head, "yes."‎

‎‎Sumeet stood steadfastly by his wife, denying she confessed and saying she could never have hurt their only child.

They appeared together at a memorial in front of their house. Sobbing, they held onto one another.

A month after Arnav's death, the Collin County medical examiner ruled he died of undetermined cause, most likely due to "natural disease."

Still, Frisco police didn't back off nor did they file the case with prosecutors either.

Finn pressed for an examining trial as a way to force police to reveal what evidence they had. At the conclusion, a judge ruled that there was enough evidence to send the case to a grand jury.

Finn said he was at the Dhawan home the prior weekend, prepping Sumeet and his brother for their grand jury testimony.

"Everything seemed very, very positive," he said. "I didn't sense any hostility. Pallavi was in a good mood. Sumeet seemed to be in a good mood."

He said Sumeet testified before a grand jury last week for more than three hours. He last spoke to Pallavi on Friday. She seemed upbeat, he said.

He said she asked if the amount of time Sumeet testified was a bad or a good sign. He said he told her it was a good sign -- that it was an indication grand jurors were really listening to their side.

Finn says he sent Sumeet into the grand jury with a packet of documents, including their son's autopsy, medical records and statements of support from members of their Hindu temple.

He says he felt very confident that a grand jurors would soon clear her. The couple had hoped that Pallavi would be out from under her legal predicament so that they could travel to India later this month for a memorial for their son.

"Pallavi has no family here so this would have given her an opportunity to see them," Finn said.

But, over the weekend, Finn said he could not reach them. He wasn't concerned because it was a holiday weekend.

"If I had been concerned, I would have gotten out in my car and driven out there," he said.

On Wednesday, he received a call from Sumeet's sister who was worried that they weren't responding to phone calls or texts. He suggested that family members check on them.

Sumeet's brother, who lives a few blocks away, made the awful discovery that afternoon. He called the police.‎

Some think perhaps it all became too much -- the loss of their son, the charges against the mother and the public humiliation.

"If somebody tells you that you killed our child, can you manage it? It's just so sad," said Hershita Agrawal, an acquaintance of the couple.

Finn said the fact that the legal battle had dragged on had "weighed on them."

Now, instead of going to India for their son's memorial, their families are making preparations to send their bodies back.

Finn said he spoke with Pallavi's heartbroken mother who lives in India Thursday morning.

‎"I said, 'Look, I really got to know your daughter and she was a very kind soul,'" Finn said. "She said, "Funny, you should mention that because when they were living here there would be dogs that were malnourished and Pallavi took them in and fed them and gave them away for adoption.'"

He says Pallavi and Sumeet had become more than clients and he had planned to bring his own family to their house for dinner.

"This was family," he said.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment