DALLAS -- Firefighters are working to find the cause of a two-alarm fire which broke out in the basement of a vacant high-rise hotel in downtown Dallas.
Dallas-Fire Rescue crews were called to the former Dallas Grand Hotel at 1914 Commerce Street Friday morning and witnessed smoke coming from the fourth floor and roof of the historic building.
Firefighters say they found the flames in the basement. Smoke managed to get into the duct system and air vents. The fire has since been put out.
At least 40 construction workers were inside the hotel but managed to get out safely. One of the workers told News 8 he heard the crew yelling for everyone to vacate.
Witnesses say they saw a contractor in a white hazmat suit jump from a window, yelling that the fire was on the fourth floor.
The building was built as the Statler Hilton Hotel and was considered the first modern American hotel in the 1950s. It was renamed as the Dallas Grand Hotel before it closed in 2001.
The building is set for a $175 million renovation next year.