Teen dies after visit to Dallas rave club

Print
Email
|

by MONIKA DIAZ

WFAA

Posted on August 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Updated Sunday, Aug 14 at 8:40 PM

Club Afterlife

View larger map

DALLAS — Dallas police are investigating the death of a teenager who had been at a rave club overnight.

Matthew Allen, 19, was pronounced dead early Saturday morning after being taken to Baylor Medical Center at Irving.

According to police investigators, friends say Allen took some kind of drug last night at Club Afterlife, 1819 West Northwest Highway, and became unresponsive.

A friend who went to the club with Allen told News 8 he spotted the 19-year-old on a couch inside the venue showing signs of medical distress.

"He's just like shaking, sweating profusely," said the friend, who did not wish to be identified.

The friend said Allen admitted to having swallowed some ecstasy pills.

Investigators said friends rushed the teen to the Irving hospital, where he later died.

"The situation was so fast-paced, and I was honestly just worrying about getting him to where he needed to be, which is the hospital," the friend said.

Investigators are looking into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Sources told News 8 that city inspectors and Dallas police have been keeping an eye on Club Afterlife after receiving complaints of alleged drug use by minors and drug sales inside.

We contacted the owners through e-mail for comment; there was no response.

At the property, someone from the club told us he didn't know about the incident, and refused to answer any questions.

We also tried calling the club, but the phone number has been disconnected.

At this moment, police have classified Allen's death as "unexplained," and they are waiting for a toxicology report from the Dallas County Medical Examiner's office.

E-mail mdiaz@wfaa.com

Print
Email
|