Winter weather advisory expires




Posted on January 15, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Updated Sunday, Nov 24 at 11:26 PM

DALLAS - After two extensions, the winter weather advisory issued for much of the region expired at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

A rare thundersnow woke up many as it boomed in the early morning hours, starting at about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Thundersnow is thunder and lightning within a snow storm. It occurs with a certain combination of warmth and moist air close to the ground with cold air above. If there is enough lift in the atmosphere for the warm and moist air to rise, the instability produces thunder and lightning. These types of storm usually take place in the spring.

The widespread sleet and snow started to taper off in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area around 9 a.m., as the system moved to the east. A freezing drizzle and some snow flakes will likely continue to hit some areas sporadically in North Texas until about noon.

Dozens of accidents were reported across Dallas and Fort Worth.

The command center at TxDOT said sand trucks focused on four major areas hit by the wintry mix:

  • TX-138 and TX-161
  • High Five Interchange
  • TX-114 and MacArthur Blvd.
  • Interstate 35 and Woodall Rodgers

The High Five Interchange was one trouble spot for drivers. A stalled car temporarily shut down an interchange ramp from North Central Expressway onto Interstate 635. However, it wasn't the only ramp that was a problem; the interchange was backed with halted traffic as drivers maneuvered carefully on the slick roads.

The ramps were shut down several times as sand trucks covered the interchange. 

Another trouble spot was reported on an exit ramp from northbound Interstate 35E to southbound TX-121toward Fort Worth and northbound TX-121 toward McKinney in Denton County. The exits were shut down for a short time as ice covered the ramp. It has since been re-opened, but traffic was still backed up.

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport reported about 165 flight cancellations and more delays as planes were de-iced. Dallas Love Field Airport also reported cancellations.

However, Oncor spokesperson reported only 30 residents without power in the Dallas-Fort Worth area as of 8:30 a.m.