DALLAS — A smoky fire led to the evacuation of several hundred people from a downtown Dallas high-rise apartment building early Sunday morning.
Investigators said the small blaze on the 19th floor of the 31-story Mercantile Place was reported around 1:30 a.m. and was caused by a plastic decoration left on a stove in a one-bedroom apartment.
It was the smoke that triggered the evacuation at 1800 Main Street.
More than 30 firefighters were at the scene so they could rotate in and out due to the heat.
No one was hurt.
The apartments are part of the former Mercantile National Bank Building, which opened in 1942 and which was, at the time, the tallest building west of the Mississippi River.