Overheated burner sparks fire at Lewisville crematory

Print
Email
|

by SHON GABLES

WFAA

Posted on January 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Updated Thursday, Jan 3 at 5:12 PM

Martin Oaks Cemetery & Crematory

View larger map

LEWISVILLE - A fire broke out late Wednesday night when one of the burners at a crematory in Lewisville overheated, sparking a fire that grew to two alarms.

Witnesses said the blaze sent flames shooting from the roof, doors and windows of the Martin Oaks Cemetery and Crematory, located in the 1200 block of Kingston Drive. While there was little damage to the outside of the business, there was extensive damage inside, according to Tim Tittle, the Lewisville fire chief.

"We've had calls here before," he said. "Neighbors will call in thinking the business is on fire, but it's just normal operations. Then, tonight, turned out to be the real deal."

Five bodies being prepared were burned in the fire.

 

 

Print
Email
|