Fatal single unit fire
FORT WORTH –– Investigators suspect a fatal single-unit fire at an apartment complex in east Fort Worth was caused by food left on the stove.
Fire fighters were called at 11 p.m. Thursday to the Springbrook Apartments at 6500 Normandy Rd. after reports of a fire. Upon their arrival, responders found heavy smoke coming from a first-floor apartment.
Department spokesman Richard Harrison said a man was found unresponsive inside. He was rushed to John Peter Smith Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Harrison was unsure if there was a working smoke detector installed at the apartment. The victim’s name has not been released. The medical examiner will determine an official cause of death following an autopsy.
No other apartments were damaged during the incident.