ARLINGTON - Firefighters in Arlington battled a three-alarm blaze that fully engulfed one home and threatened others Wednesday morning in the 6100 block of Kelly Elliott Road.
The homeowner, who was able to escape the burning home with his dog according to fire officials, was taken to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
"He's going to be okay," said Keslynn Sutton, the homeowner's daughter. "I don't know what happened, I guess it got out of hand."
The blaze grew so large as it engulfed the home, crews worked to contain the fire, acting defensively from neighboring homes. Large plumes of black smoke were seen for miles.
Investigators said an unattended fireplace likely sparked the blaze, which took fire crews about 25 minutes to get under control.
By Wednesday afternoon, crews were putting out the last of the hot spots at the burned out home.