Dallas family injured after lightning sparks fire

Print
Email
|

by CYNTHIA VEGA

WFAA

Posted on September 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Updated Monday, Sep 19 at 5:43 PM

Woodin Boulevard fire

View larger map

DALLAS -- A mom, dad, and their six-year-old son remain hospitalized in the burn unit of Parkland Memorial Hospital after narrowly escaping a fire that destroyed their home in Oak Cliff Sunday night.

Fire investigators now believe lightning is to blame for sparking the fire in the 300 block of West Woodin Boulevard.

It happened inside an attached garage that had been converted into an apartment. Fire investigators said the presence of natural gas further fueled the fire and made it spread more quickly.

By the time the first Dallas Fire-Rescue units arrived around 11 p.m., the fire had already destroyed the apartment.

All three family members managed to escape on their own. Relatives said the mother suffered the worst burns from her face down to her waist. Both parents are in their 30s, according to fire investigators.

The couple's 13-year-old escaped the fire altogether. He spent the night at a friend's house, but came home Monday to find even the family dog, a four-year-old  Chihuahua named Goofy, had been injured.

Goofy suffered burns to his head, tail and legs. Even his eyes were swollen shut. The family was planning to take Goofy to the vet Monday afternoon.

Atmos Energy crews were seen investigating the area around the fire, but would not comment.

E-mail cvega@wfaa.com

Print
Email
|