The two Grapevine teens who police say were moved to another room of a home after overdosing died after ingesting a mixture of heroin and codeine as well as the active chemicals in Xanax and Benadryl, according to an autopsy report released Thursday.
Southlake Carroll High School students Kyle McNutt and Chase Nunez were found dead in a home in the 700 block of Heatherwood Dr. in Grapevine on Jan. 5. Police say the teens, 17 and 18-years-old respectively, were ingesting drugs with 22-year-old Cullen Marino the night before.
Grapevine police spokesman Robert Eberling said investigators believe Marino found the two passed out upstairs and moved them to a bedroom. His father, who also lived in the home, found the teens foaming at the mouth the next morning and called police.
Marino is charged with two counts of criminally negligent homicide in both deaths. His father has not been charged.
Police found evidence of heroin use at the scene, including a spoon used for heating the drug, which was stuffed in Marino’s pocket.
The medical examiner’s autopsy report confirms police suspicions –– the two died from a mixed drug toxicity. Each had heroin, codeine, alprazolam and diphenhydramine in their systems. The latter two terms are the chemical names for the prescription anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the antihistamine Benadryl.
In addition to the spoon, police found a “clear baggie with powdery residue” in plain view on a table feet from where the teens died. In an adjacent room, police found another spoon with heroin residue and a box “containing multiple clear glass pipes that appeared to have residue,” according to an affidavit.
Also found was a milk crate “believed to be a mobile meth lab” and a “spring-like item” with drug residue. Marino also told police that he bought drugs in Dallas that night and brought them back to the house, where the three used them.