IRVING -- The Red Cross is helping about 30 people left homeless after a massive fire in Irving.
The flames broke out just after 10 p.m. Monday at the Britain Place Townhomes on North Britain Road.
Investigators suspect the fire began along a fence line and spread. Strong winds helped fan the flames, which went to the attic first and then the building. A total of 16 units were damaged.
"I only had time to get my kids out and to move my car," Antonia Valleras said early Tuesday morning.
Valleras came back to her apartment to see what could be salvaged, but she came out of her home with only a gallon of milk, a pair of shoes and a bag.
"Thank God we are all okay," she said.
Another resident told News 8 that two neighbors ran up and down hallways, making sure people got out safely.
"Because we're a small complex, it's probably about 12 units, so we know each other, we can see each other's faces. We saw that 113's not out, or 122's not out. They knew not to stop banging until they got us out, and I'm just so thankful, so blessed for that," resident Ashleigh Jones said.
"It was nerve-wracking because they tell you to not panic and to stay calm for the kids, but I panicked," Jones recalled.
No injuries were reported. The Red Cross is assisting families affected by the blaze with food, clothing and shelter.