Fort Worth man sues city for wrongful teardown

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on May 29, 2014 at 5:34 AM

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — For the third time in a year the city of Forth Worth is accused of mistakenly tearing down a home.

In a lawsuit filed this week in district court, Jorge Rodriguez says he received a "partially illegible letter" last May stating his house was scheduled for a teardown. Rodriguez says he went to the city and was assured the letter was a clerical error. Nevertheless, the house was later demolished. He's seeking $50,000 in damages.

The city last year temporarily halted the demolition of substandard structures when a contractor was discovered to have mistakenly razed two other homes.

City officials settled a lawsuit for $62,500 in April with one couple whose home was wrongfully destroyed.

City spokesman Bill Begley says he can't comment on Rodriguez's case because litigation is pending.

Print
Email
|