TIMELINE: Ebola in North Texas

The current outbreak of Ebola in West Africa is the largest since the virus was first discovered in 1976. Until Sept. 30, no cases of this disease, which has a 50% fatality rate, had been diagnosed in humans in the United States.

Click blue dates to read full stories.


  • Sept. 19. Thomas Eric Duncan leaves Monrovia, Liberia, for a trip to the United States. He has been exposed to Ebola but is not exhibiting symptoms, so he's not contagious. It's unclear whether he knew he had been exposed.
  • Sept. 20. After changing planes in Brussels, Belgium and at Washington Dulles International Airport, Duncan arrives in Dallas to visit family members.
  • Sept. 24. Duncan's family members tell U.S. authorities this is the day he first felt sick. That's when he likely became contagious.
  • Sept. 26. Duncan seeks treatment at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas and is sent back to his sister's apartment with antibiotics.
  • Sept. 28. Duncan is transported to the same hospital by ambulance. He's critically ill and put in isolation in the hospital's intensive care unit.
  • Sept. 30. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirms that Duncan has been stricken with the Ebola virus. He's the first patient to be diagnosed in the the United States.
  • Oct. 1. Duncan's condition is upgraded from critical to serious, and health officials say they're closely monitoring a second patient who had contact with Duncan. Others who have been in contact with Duncan, including paramedics and children, are being observed for symptoms.
  • Oct. 2. Court orders family to stay indoors at Ivy Apartments unit after family allegedly ignores requests by county and health officials to stay indoors.
  • Oct. 3. Haz-mat crews decontaminate apartment where Duncan stayed before hospitalization. The quarantined family members of Duncan are transported from their apartment to an undisclosed location. Meanwhile, Duncan is in critical condition.
  • Oct. 4. Duncan receives an experimental drug called Brincidofovir, made by Chimerix, Inc. Dr. Kent Brantly, a Fort Worth doctor who was diagnosed with Ebola while in West Africa treating patients and later cured after traveling back to the U.S., says he attempted to donate plasma to help Duncan but their plasma types didn't match. Duncan's condition is downgraded from serious to critical.
  • Oct. 7. Jesse Jackson travels to Dallas after he says he was told family members of Duncan expressed concern regarding his treatment. Jackson went to the hospital and traveled through South Dallas with Duncan's mother, Nowai Korkoyah.
  • Oct. 8. Duncan pronounced dead at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas.
  • Oct. 8. Sgt. Michael Monnig is transported from a Frisco clinic to Texas Health Presbyterian after experiencing stomach pains. Monnig went inside Duncan's apartment days before his death with several other deputies and two health officials.
  • Oct. 9. Monnig's Ebola test comes back negative.
  • Oct. 10. Monnig holds a press conference in which he explains why he went to a Frisco clinic. He told reporters he first became concerned when he was told by a lieutenant to bag the clothes and boots he wore the day he went to Duncan's apartment.
  • Oct. 10. Nina Pham, a 26-year-old nurse at Texas Health Presbyterian takes her temperature and reports having a fever. She drove herself to the hospital and was in isolation within 90 minutes. Pham treated Duncan before his death at the hospital.
  • Oct. 12. Pham is diagnosed with Ebola. She's the second person to be diagnosed within the United States and the first to contract the virus within the country.
  • Oct. 13. Amber Vinson, a 29-year-old nurse who also treated Duncan at Texas Health Presbyterian, travels from Cleveland to Dallas on Frontier Airlines with a low-grade fever.
  • Oct. 13. Crews transport Nina Pham's King Charles Spaniel, named Bentley, to an undisclosed location. The pet will be placed under monitoring for 21 days.
  • Oct. 14. Vinson reports is admitted to Texas Health Presbyterian.
  • Oct. 14. National Nurses United releases statement disclosing alleged conditions at Texas Health Presbyterian. According to the statement, several nurses said workers treated Duncan for days without proper protective gear and protocols at the facility changed frequently.
  • Oct. 15. Vinson is diagnosed with Ebola. Haz-mat crews clean out her apartment at Skillman Street and Lovers Lane. Vinson is the second person to contract the virus on U.S. soil. Texas Health Presbyterian announced she'll be transferred to Emory Healthcare in Atlanta for treatment.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment