Texas Health Dallas criticized for Ebola treatment

The Centers for Disease Control are calling today's new case of Ebola contamination a "breach of protocol" at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas.

Add to that recurring questions about the first Ebola patient originally being sent home with a dangerous fever.

Now come more questions about whether the hospital is fully prepared to handle the crisis.

Sunday morning on News 8, the former acting director of the CDC called the new contamination case at Presbyterian Hospital "unacceptable." He believes this and future patients should be moved to a more qualified facility.

"I think they need to rethink where these patients are cared for," said Dr. Richard Besser, former acting director for the Centers for Disease Control.

Dr. Besser, who also serves as ABC's chief medical editor, along with others from across the country, are raising questions about Ebola infection of now two medical workers at facilities that may not be equipped to properly deal with the virus.

"And the idea that both in Dallas and in Spain these were both times that regular hospitals had a patient with Ebola and in each situation a health care worker got sick," said Besser. "That should be unacceptable."

Besser says the nurse in Dallas and any future patients should be moved to one of four facilities around the country where doctors and nurses have received extensive training.

In Oakland, Calif. Sunday afternoon, a national nurses union appealed to all hospitals to stop blaming nurses and provide proper training.

"We have been hearing that they have not been following proper protocol when we have been asking out hospitals throughout the country to provide us with training that allows us to ask questions," said Katy Roemer of National Nurses United.

Presbyterian Hospital officials did not respond to News 8's request for a response to the criticisms. We were prohibited from talking to the family of patients receiving treatment inside.

But Seneca Brown, whose mother has been at Presbyterian for the past month, said he's not worried about the latest case, has confidence in their care and says hospital operations appear normal.

"It's not flooded with people and it has its empty rooms but it's not like a ghost town," said Brown. "The nurses aren't paranoid or working around with masks on their face or anything like that."

Presbyterian Hospital officials issued a statement around 7:30 p.m. Sunday saying their emergency department is no longer diverting ER patients, which was the case earlier in the day. Then, 30 minutes later, hospital officials switched back to emergency divert status. They gave no explanation as to why.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment