DALLAS -- The parks and recreation department is warning residents near a south Dallas playground to be on the lookout for symptoms of mercury exposure after light bulbs were illegally dumped at the playground and a vacant lot across the street.
Nearly 1,000 electrical and fluorescent light bulbs were found Thursday at the Peary Play Lot in the 2800 block of Peary Ave. near Malcolm X Boulevard.
The Dallas Parks and Recreation Department, the Office of Environmental Quality, Stormwater Management, and Dallas police and fire-rescue responded Thursday evening. A professional remediation firm was brought in to clean the playground and vacant lot.
The playground was closed and will be reopened to the public once the city has deemed it safe.
The city marshals office and other agencies are working to located individuals who may have been exposed so they can receive medical care. The city also used the reverse-911 system to notify residents in the immediate area.
Symptoms of mercury exposure include metallic taste, vomiting, difficulty breathing, bad cough, swollen bleeding gums, restlessness, and light headiness.
The city offered four clinics to seek medical attention if you believe you were exposed:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Family Clinic, 2922 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- Baylor Senior Health Center, 2835 Garland Ave.
- Senior Care Dallas, 2815 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- Hirsch Clinic, 1902 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.